Saturday, April 16, 2011

one hundred things

         Have you heard about the 100 Thing Challenge, where a 'guy named Dave' decided to live with just 100 things for a year?  Here's what he said about it:
        
"The 100 Thing Challenge has been a way to personalize my efforts to fight American-style consumerism and live a life of simplicity, characterized by joyfulness and thoughtfulness."
         I like things.  I especially like my things.  In fact, we joke at my house that I may having hoarding tendencies because I have a hard time parting with things sometimes.  (I watch some of those shows about Hoarders to try to inoculate myself from ever actually becoming a full-fledged hoarder.)

         Living with just 100 things?!?!  Yikes!  I think I have 100 things just in my bathroom cupboard, under the sink.  (I'll count how many things are under there later, and report back).  In fact, I probably have 100 things in one of my drawers in the bedroom, where I keep odds and ends.  (I'll have to count in there, too).
         However, I do agree that we all have too many "things."  I am acutely aware that in America, we have more stuff than we know what to do with, especially when juxtaposed next to countries we see on the nightly news where a person can haul all of their belongings in one container on their back. 
         I also know that I could NOT live with just one hundred things.  So, here's my own 100 Thing Challenge ---  I am going to GIVE AWAY 100 things.  I'm going to go through my house and find one hundred things that I can give away to charity.
        Just getting RID OF 100 things will be my personal challenge.
        I'll let you know how it goes!

No comments: