Saturday, March 1, 2008

Unexpected events

Today Dave and I both had work to be done: Dave was going to fix the toilet in one of the bathrooms, and I was going to work on my papers for National Board. We weren't really looking forward to it, but we both knew we had to do what we had to do.

Then, life got in the way. . . . .


As people who know me well know, I love to rearrange furniture in my house. (Okay, Theresa, in my classroom too! But that's another posting!) AND, since both boys are at home, I wanted to help Mike rearrange his room to get more room for his 'stuff' (since a lot of my scrapbooking supplies are still in there.) SO. . . . I decided to rearrange some furniture before getting started on my papers. First, I unloaded and started to move a bookcase from my bedroom (which was going to be put in the family room so I could move another bookcase from Michael's room into my bedroom ---- see how my mind works?). As I pulled the bookcase in my bedroom away from the wall I saw what looked like some kind of dirt on the rug. Hmmm, I thought, what caused that? As I started to clean it up, I thought it smelled like dirt from a plant. Hmmm, I thought, I've never had a live plant in here. So I looked on the bottom of the bookcase to see what might have caused the 'dirt' stain on the carpet, and it was all wet. Hmmm. . . . time to get Dave. And, our worst suspicions turned out to be true ----- there was a water leak, and the carpet had gotten all wet, and the 'dirt' was. . . . M O L D !!


So, we've spent the better part of today cleaning up. It was very involved ---- we ended up cutting out a large part of the carpet (it was wet from the padding up), then Dave cut part of the drywall out, and now we're drying it out. Dave thinks the leak is coming from the bathroom (yes, we remodeled the bathrooms about 6 months or so ago) so he is also working on fixing things on the other side of the wall, where the master bath's shower is!


So. . . . . needless to say, my papers didn't get done today!!! (At least Dave did get the toilet fixed!) : )

No comments: